Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Psalm 101 - Some thoughts from tonight

I Will Walk with Integrity

A Psalm of David.

101:1 I will sing of steadfast love and justice;
to you, O Lord, I will make music.
2 I will ponder the way that is blameless.
Oh when will you come to me?
I will walk with integrity of heart
within my house;
3 I will not set before my eyes
anything that is worthless.
I hate the work of those who fall away;
it shall not cling to me.
4 A perverse heart shall be far from me;
I will know nothing of evil.

5 Whoever slanders his neighbor secretly
I will destroy.
Whoever has a haughty look and an arrogant heart
I will not endure.

6 I will look with favor on the faithful in the land,
that they may dwell with me;
he who walks in the way that is blameless
shall minister to me.

7 No one who practices deceit
shall dwell in my house;
no one who utters lies
shall continue before my eyes.

8 Morning by morning I will destroy
all the wicked in the land,
cutting off all the evildoers
from the city of the Lord.

Tonight as I have been considering the word of the Lord, I was drawn to the Psalms and considering what has been said by the Lord for our own good. At the time, I must confess, that my heart was bent in the other direction than what David wrote as he was confessing the desire of his heart to walk in integrity.

What is integrity? Well, there are many different ways to define it. I have heard others give the explination that Integrity is "who you are when nobody else is looking." Webster defines it as "adherence to a special code of moral or artistic values." Well, you may know of other good ways of explaining this. After thinking about the meaning of integrity and reading this Psalm, here are some questions that I have for myself, I submit them to you for your benefit.

1. Are my thoughts those which think about the ways that are blameless? Am I thinking thoughts that allow me to talk to others, counsel others, preach to others, and guide others with a clear conscience? Do I consider, or dwell on heavenly things, or have I become preoccupied, not necessarily with the "things of the world" but have I shifted my thinking to unholy, selfish desires with which I would be ashamed to commit? If so, my thinking must be returned to the only one worthy of my full affections.

2. What are my thoughts regarding my "neighbors?" Do I recognize the disdain that God has for a "haughty eye" or a proud heart? When I consider evil the sinfulness of those around me, do I look upon them with a proud and arrogant heart, or do I look upon them with compassion. Pastors, do we speak the word of Christ, in love?

3. Am I seeking counsel from those whose way is the way of Christ? Do I consider what is influencing me and have I put away the counsel of the wicked for the wisdom of God?

Father,

You know the condition of my heart. You certainly know the thoughts and desires of this fallen, imperfect man. It is for this, that I cling to your grace to sustain me. Of all those times that I have tried to justify myself, I repent.

There is nothing in all this world that has ever existed other than the finished work of Jesus Christ that will satisfy Your wrath. Thank you for the free gift of Your son to pay the penalty for my sins. It is in this finished work that I trust, and am trusting both now and forever.

I ask that by Your word, I may consider the way that is blameless, renewing my mind and heart by the cleansing, refreshing words of Christ recorded in the Scriptures. Your word is sweet to my soul, correcting, teaching, and encouraging me. Renew me, and restore me, oh Lord my Rock, and my Redeemer.

Amen

No comments: