Por esta razón, también nosotros, desde el día que lo supimos, no hemos cesado de orar por vosotros y de rogar que seáis llenos del conocimiento de su voluntad en toda sabiduría y comprensión espiritual, para que andéis como es digno del Señor, agradándole en todo, dando fruto en toda buena obra y creciendo en el conocimiento de Dios; Colosenses 1:9-10 La Biblia de Las Americas
Now, unless you speak Spanish, the text above probably doesn’t mean much to you because you can’t understand it. When I looked at it, I was overwhelmed at the thought of preaching this text in Spanish!!! I was reminded of something; I don’t know the language like I should, or like I want to. This started my thought process.
This was a painful reminder that I must confess that not only do I not know Spanish as well as I should, even more important, I do not have the knowledge of the Scripture that I should. Oh how I long and desire to know the Word of God, but sadly I feel sometime like I am reading a foreign language, but my prayer concerning this matter is this:
How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments!I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Blessed are you, O LORD; teach me your statutes!With my lips I declare all the rules of your mouth. In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches. I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways. I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word. Psalm 119 9-18 ESV.
I have underlined some points here for emphasis. Oh, that I would delight myself in the Word of Christ. For there is no other rule that God hath given man by which we may know how to glorify and enjoy Him! Christian, delight yourself in the law of God! Meditate on His precepts, and store up His Word in Your heart.
You say, what can I do when I don’t understand it? Seek the Lord!! What about when it seems like I am reading a foreign language. Pray earnestly, and don’t let go! Ask the Lord to open His word to you and incline your heart to the Scripture!
Back to the Hispanic Mission at Rockport, we made it through. The Lord blessed, and He is good. We continue to see new faces on a regular basis. Pray for us as there are some specific prayer requests that I would like to share with you:
- Pray that the Lord would bring people to salvation through the preaching of His word!
- Pray that there might be permanent residents and citizens that are truly converted, whom also the Lord has set apart for teaching and preaching, so that they might take leadership roles in this ministry in the southern section of St. Louis, Missouri.
- We will need funding to supply a permanent Pastor to this role and this is an urgent need.
- Pray for wisdom as we consider contacting a church in Mexico or another Spanish-speaking area for a young man that has been set apart for ministry and desires to serve this summer.
- Pray for Rick as he continues to lead the music, and prepares to put together a band to assist in leading music.