Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Notes from Sunday


Below is a section of my notes from a sermon that I preached this past Sunday. Not sure why I would want to post it here, but I hope that it will be a blessing to you. Obviously, not all of the notes here are exhaustive, however I pray that the Lord would use what is here to be a blessing.

Aaron

Excerpt from Sunday's Sermon - Spanish Service @ 8:00a 12/20/2008

If you go to hang a picture on the wall in your house, it will do you good to make sure that you have a level. You may be able to get a good “eye” and be able to see if it is straight, however with a level you can put it next to your picture on the wall and you will be able to read the gauge and see if it is straight. Why? Because there is a standard, a gauge, to which you can compare it. Without this, you would just be lost.

God’s word is that sort of standard. In fact, it is the sole authority for truth and instruction for how we can live our lives to glorify God. I would like for you to consider some Scripture with me.

How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
10 With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
11 I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
12 Blessed are you, O Lord;
teach me your statutes!
13 With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
14 In the way of your testimonies I delight
as much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
16 I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word.

Psalm 119:9-15 ESV

First, we have in verse nine the fact that there is question asked about how a young man can keep his way pure. The answer is simple, by guarding it according to the word of God! You want to know how you can battle sin, GUARD YOUR LIFE ACCORDING TO THE WORD OF GOD. You say, but that is so easy. I say to you, have you considered that there are so many other competing worldviews battling in your mind. There’s advice from friends, there are shows like Oprah, Dr. Phil. There are just so many other competing counsels for your to obey…but every single one of the them will lead you astray unless it is rooted in the rock-solid foundation of the Word of God.

Second, verse eleven points out something that is almost lost in modern day churches. That is the value of memorizing Scripture. Let me ask you a question…how many songs can you quote the entire line, verse, rhythm, and sing the tune? Better yet, are there any movies that you can quote? Why? Well, Aaron…you see these other things are just easier because they are put to music. Perhaps…but does that excuse you and I from memorizing the word of Christ? No!!! It is because you and I are lazy when it comes to handling the Word! How many Christians, I am counting myself in this number, will have 200+ Christian CD’s, books written by godly people, but will not wear out a Bible? And we wonder why we struggle so much with sin. Brothers and sisters, it is because you and I need a dose of God’s Word “stored up in our hearts” that we might not sin against God! A good friend of mine has a Bible and in the front cover it is written, Sin may keep you from this book, but this book will keep you from sin! It is true!

Then, a third component to fighting these battles against sin is to Meditate on the Word. Meditate. Now, some people here this word and they think of someone sitting in a strange position with their arms and feet crossed. However, the word implies to think and to dwell upon. Did you know that a cow has multiple stomachs? Did you know that when it eats the food is then processed to the first, then the cow vomits it back up and chews on it some more, then it goes down again, and then comes back up, and then back down again. Why? This cow is getting the maximum amount of nutrients possible from what he has been given. Brothers and sisters, we should get the maximum amount of nutrients possible because we are feasting on the healthiest food for our souls? How do you do this, well, when you read God’s word, take notes, when you are listening to a sermon, take notes. Go back to the Scriptures and get alone somewhere. Make sure that there is nobody to distract you, and humbly, yet boldly approach the throne of God in prayer and ask him to show you His Word and think upon the things of Christ. Meditate on His Word. Don’t just read it, think, listen, and obey.

No comments: