Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Something Fishy

The following post probably seems completely different than any that I have submitted in the past. However, I have been working with people with mental health issues, violent behaviors, etc. I would highly recommend anyone interested in knowing more about this consult http://www.nanc.org

However, I have been browsing around the Mayo Clinic's website to see what they say regarding scientific research on herbal supplements. I found something interesting that you might want to know.

We have been talking in our office about a doctor that is starting to take his patients with depression, bi-polar, etc., off of their psychotropic medications and placing them on high amounts of fish oil. I thought that you might be interested to know that there is significant research that fish oil has been proven to prevent and treat high blood pressure and most forms of heart disease. In addition, there has been new research that shows very, very, very favorable results in treatment of depression, anxiety, etc.

If you are interested, you can check out what the Mayo Clinic says. However, I believe that there has been more research proving it's effectiveness since this posting from Mayo Clinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fish-oil/NS_patient-fishoil

No comments: