Friday, April 27, 2007

From "A Narrative of Surprising Conversions"

I have been sharing with some lately, a most interesting line from the book that I am currently reading, "Jonathan Edwards on Revival." This line describes something that I desire...oh so much...in my life/my family...as well as in the lives of the Students at Rockport Baptist Church. Let me share it with you real quick and then talk about it...but first, understand that Jonathan Edwards was writing about what was going on during a great outpouring of the Holy Spirit bringing salvation and transformation to a large area over 200 years ago.

Our young people, when they met, were wont to spend the time in talking of the excellency and dying love of Jesus Christ, the glory of the way of salvation, the wonderful, free and sovereign grace of God, his glorious work in the conversion of a soul, the truth and certainty of the great things of God's word, the sweetness of the views of his perfections, etc. (15)


Oh how I long that this and more could be said!!! It is my desire, and my prayer...that the Lord would again, open up the heavens and rain down a special outpouring of His Spirit in the hearts and lives of the young people of this generation. We are a generation that waste our affections on everything else but what pleases God. Oh how I can become so excited about the latest gadget, discussion, music, Cardinal ball game, etc. I can use my emotions, my time, money, and energy to gladly enthrall myself in these things. There is nothing necessarily "evil" about sports, gadgets, discussion, coffee, music...but do others see in me a greater desire, a greater love for the God who saved me...though I deserved the fiery flames of Hell? Ask yourself...where are my affections invested, where do I spend them?

Father, may You be pleased to come and do such a mighty work of transformation among us Your people. Lord, may the streets resound with singing Your great fame and Your great Name! May You bring salvation and a great awakening to Your truth among the young at Rockport, and may this lead to the conversions of others at such a surprising rate, that none can doubt that this is a mighty move of the Sovereign Lord! Lord, may this be all for your glory, and not our own! Amen

No comments: